Diatomaceous Earth for Gut Health
In this article I want to share with you a little known “secret” for improving digestive health. Since I focus on correcting all kinds of digestive disorders in my clinic, I am always interested in educating my patients in ways that they can help maintain a healthy, functional GI system.
What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous Earth, or DE as it is sometimes called, is a completely natural substance. It is the fossilized shells of microscopic water-dwelling organisms known as diatoms. Diatoms are one-celled plants that are the primary food source for aquatic life. These plants have been around forever and still exist today all over the world in both fresh and salt water.
Diatoms use soluble silica from their environment to make their shells, or exoskeletons. They are shaped like a cylinder full of holes. As they die, these shells fall to the bottom of the bodies of water in which they live. Obviously, over time these accumulate into think beds of chalky fossilized sediment.
Where is it found?
There are literally hundreds of huge deposits of DE all over the world, with some still under water and others found in ancient dried lake bottoms. It is mined and then crushed into a powder (it kind of looks like baby powder!).
What makes it so healthy for you?
There are a number of factors but the main one is that it contains a high amount of silica. In 1939, the Nobel Prize winner for chemistry, Professor Adolf Butenandt, proved that life cannot exist without silica. In the 2003 book “Water & Salt” Dr. Barbara Hendel stated: “Silica is the most important trace mineral for human health!”
What are the digestive system benefits?
Everything needs a good cleaning from time to time! How’s that garage of yours looking right now? I know, mine is in need of some attention too. It’s no different with your digestive tract. DE is like a good internal “scrub” that cleans out your intestinal tract. It can purge toxins, viruses, bacteria, and parasites. How? Well, while DE may feel like a soft powder, it is actually a small cylinder with extremely sharp edges that scrape away these nasty things! DE is very hard. In fact, on the hardness scale diamonds are a 9 and DE is a 7!
In addition, any toxins or bacteria floating in our digestive system are absorbed and trapped by DE and then they are passed out of the system. Good riddance, right! DE has a very strong negative charge. As the millions of tiny cylinders move through the stomach and digestive tract they attract and absorb fungi, viruses, bacteria, toxins, pesticide, drug residues, protozoa, E-Coli, and heavy metals. All of these “bad guys” are trapped inside the cylinder and passed out of the body. Yea!
Are there any other benefits of DE?
- DE contains mostly silica, a mineral that is required for all life on earth. Numerous clinical studies show that silica is a crucial mineral that plays a key role in many body functions.
When you are young, your tissues absorb and maintain high levels of silica and this enables your body to be resilient, energetic, and flexible. However, as we age our levels gradually decrease until they become very low. Approximately 80% of all of your body’s silica is used up by the time we become adults. So the point is it is important to supplement.
- It contains other trace minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, sodium, titanium, boron, manganese, copper, and zirconium.
- Improves bone health. Slows or even stops Osteoporosis. Your body cannot absorb and use calcium without the presence of silica.
- Helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels. Some users have reported it lowered their triglycerides.
- Lower high blood pressure.
- Stops premature wrinkling and sagging of skin. Great for skin health!
- Promotes healthy hair and hair growth.
- Silica hardens the enamel thus helping to prevent cavities. Also helps to prevent bleeding gums.
- Boost the immune system. Silica is necessary for the body to produce antibodies that fight off viruses, bacteria, and allergens.
DE is basically a tasteless powder and is easy to consume. Many people just add to water, juice, or their favorite smoothie. Another thing I love about DE is that it is inexpensive! Just be sure to get “food grade”. You may want to check out http://www.diatomaceousearth.com.